[AMRadio] Ranger Audio... the Pics

Jack Schmidling jack at schmidling.com
Sat Nov 18 23:09:12 EST 2006

k0ng at inebraska.com wrote:

> Just my opinion. I have not been following the problem. What are you
> looking for??

Well, the current problem is the fact everyone complains about my audio.
    Tinny, yucky, narrow... like an old telephone, etc.

New (used) D104 is the worst of the bunch but known good mics that I
have used for years, doing voice overs for film and video don't sound
much better.

I taped tests of 3 of them and the D104 sounds lousy and the dynamic and
electret lapel sound just fine and are nearly indistinguishable from
each other.

When I put them under an earphone tuned to a good broadcast signal and
fire the Ranger into a dummy or antenna, they all sound lousy.

Seems obvious the Ranger is doing something to the audio so I have been
sig tracing to see where and the pics are what I found.

In the meantime, I removed caps one at a time from the front end and
none of them made the slightest difference.  I left them all out and
decided it's time for a break.

I have no idea where to go from here.

js