[AMRadio] D104 element Rebuilding

Jack Schmidling jack at schmidling.com
Sun Nov 19 16:02:16 EST 2006

Jim Candela wrote:
> Many years ago my Astatic 'Rochelle salt" crystal element died from
> prolonged exposure in my garage. The output from it was low, and
> distorted. With a burst of curiosity, and desperation I took the bad
> element apart.

Feeling I had nothing to lose, I did just that yesterday but used sili
glue to hold it all together.  It was an interesting learning
experience.  Unfortunately, it didn't help my problem but mine was
working; just not to my satisfaction.

It still works about the same so I ordered two new cartridges from
Mouser to see if it's me or the cartridge.

I had been wondering how age/time/humidity could have the slightest
effect on a quartz crystal millions of years old.

Turns out they are not quartz at all but Rochelle salt which, like all
salts, are very hygroscopic and turn to mush in time.

js