[AMRadio] Heard amidst the corntesters on 75....

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 11:05:57 EST 2006

Greetings to the list -

I was away since last Thursday visiting 4 Land, got home last night.
Imagine my surprise (dismay) when I turned on the receiver and heard
wall-to-wall slopbucket corntesting! Never will you find a more rude,
self-absorbed group of egomaniacs - even in the CCA or collecting
world.

Was able to hear Don, K4KYV quite well through the noise, talking with
Brent W1IA and a 3-Lander who was pissweak and unreadable through the
slop here. After getting the woodfire going and some dinner cooked, I
hopped back on after 2200 and - like a swarm of locust - the
corntesters were gone. Talk about a plug-n-play approach to radio. In
this case, even simpler: switch on/yell/switch off/brag.

Worked Gary KD5CPL with some difficulty, using his Globe Champion and
R-390A from Oklahoma City. Dave, W9AD jumped in with a huge signal
into Vermont. I decided to sign off and listen out, and switched off
the transmitter. Who then should appear but Geoff, W5OMR with a VERY
stout signal from San Antonio, followed by Marv KC9VF. I even heard
Gary much better on the next go-round, so the band was obviously
recovering from the previous 2-day dumbing down of the aether.

Geoff, you sounded great up here! Almost as strong as Dave, who was
10-20 over S9. I was going to hop back on just to say hello, but the
group kept growing, the turnovers sped up, and everyone had me nailed
as having checked out. I know you're seldom on 'early', but hope to
have the chance again soon to work you. Want to let you know that you
were not just heard, but heard *well* here in the northeast.

de Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ