[AMRadio] SS nice guy report

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 15:13:16 EST 2006

On 11/21/06, Mike Sawyer <w3slk at uplink.net> wrote:
> Forgive me for going on a tirade here but I'm going to say something that
> needs to be said since the topic of operating and corntesting format came
> up. We as a group, (myself included) in the AM community are very quick to
> point out the shortcomings and lack of operating ettiquette by the
> corntesters, Marconi net etc. But I think we ought to take a good look in
> the mirror and point the finger at ourselves before pointing it at others.

....which I did, and made reference to in my post:

"I've also met those who piss and moan about how horrible AMers are as
a group. I'll admit that, like any group, we do have a few knot-heads
out there. But they are the exception, not the rule. This is easily
proven by sampling a number of AM QSOs on any given night."

I'd not call it 'a lot of poor operating' at all, compared to the crap
garbage covering entire BANDS during many contests. The problem is
that even 'some' gets broadcast wide and far.

> squarely under the magnifing glass. We need to stop this type of crap and
> not encourage others to do it either.

True. It doesn't take many to give all a black eye.

> Because then we are no better than the
> "groups" and should get the same 'spanking' as they do.

I disagree. I challenge you to listen into a variety of AM
conversations on any given night and find the antics you mention being
a widespread, prevalent practice. It's not. Sure, you can find one
group with a handful of guys acting up, but go up the band and find
2-3 other QSOs taking place with none of it whatsoever. Listen to a
contest and find the opposite: mostly rude operators, with very few
showing any decency or respect towards others who aren't involved with
or interested in their contest. As Paul said, the good guys ARE out
there, just the exception rather than the rule.

> If I offended anyone then I apologize. End of rant!

No offense here, Mike. But like you, I sometimes feel the same need.
I've been in a number of QSOs and heard several others where folks got
onto AM because they liked the sound, heard us talking, and wanted to
join in. I'm sure that some are pushed away by the bad operation of
the few if they happen onto them, but no doubt the same happens with
any other mode. Contesters seems to cross all barriers and offends all
groups, evidenced by the SSB ops I heard jamming them down around 3878
making pig sounds and saying 'seeeewie!' Even the knuckle draggers
seem upset.

~ Todd  KA1KAQ