[AMRadio] SS nice guy report

EP Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Wed Nov 22 06:39:29 EST 2006

Hi Steve,

I think that the big thing to keep in mind in discussions like this one here
is the fact that --- by a VERY far & wide margin --- it is going to be the
AM signal that is the easiest to tune in by a newcomer to SWL'ing, and NOT
SSB...and most CERTAINLY not CW...

When I first became interested in becoming a Ham in about 1969, or so, it
was primarily because I was able to tune-in the AM'ers on 10- and 40-meters
on my Hallicrafters S-77A at the time...and I distinctly do NOT recall
hearing any belching, farting, or the use of the "F" word therein at all
back then.

It was readily available, though, on the 11-meter band...

In fact, my initial enthusiasm to get a CB licence was effectively cooled
because of such boorish behaviour on 27-MHz --- Hams had a LOT more "class"
in my estimation, & were a group that I aspired to, and definitely wanted to
become a part of.

So, too, did a lot of ex-CB'ers, evidently, judging by the frat-boy /
trailor park goings-on that one so often hears in the AM windows nowadays...

Like it, or not, the "...tuneable" feature of the AM mode elevates a lot of
louts to the status of Amateur Radio "goodwill ambassadors" for the public
at large --- maybe that's why many of them behave the way they do, i.e. they
have a (potentially) ready audience at their beck & call...?

Well, it's not for me --- I refuse to listen to Howard Stern, too. No wonder
I'm coming around to being a near 100% CW only operator again...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ