[AMRadio] band warming / the VE and the V

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Wed Nov 22 08:45:37 EST 2006

> If the Americans were allowed to operate down to 3500kc on
> phone, they wouldn't
> hestitate to do so.
>
> There are a lot of CW ops between 3600-3700kc right now as
> well...I don't hear
> you admonishing the Americans not to operate down there on
> phone Ed. You'd get
> laughed off the block real quick if you tried. The
> Americans will displace a lot
> of the CW operations between 3600-3700kc. Lets be fair and
> clear about that.
>
> I won't have any problem welcoming the US AM ops..they're
> not the problem..its
> all the other garbage/SSB qrm games..etc..that will
> follow.
>
> This is the feedback I'm getting from most of the Canadian
> AM operators who are
> active on the 75/80m band.
>
> Al
> VE3AJM

Given the behavior of some of the American hams, I agree.
This morning I wanted to talk briefly to Arne, K0AS in
Deadwood, SD from Southern Oklahoma.  Exactly zero beat were
a bunch of 4 land Aflack shouters who were probably no more
than 100 miles apart.  Some were running amps to communicate
across that small distance.

When I joined Arne a couple started complaining about the AM
signals (3.875).  One suggested moving and you do not have
to use much imitation to understand the response from the
crowd.

In this country we have a much larger number of hams
therefore a larger number that misbehave.  I recall many
years ago when I wondered why Canadian and hams South of the
boarder were allowed to operate phone where American hams
could not, it dawned on me that the other countries allowed
that operation partially because of our numbers.

I can assure everyone that this poor behavior will follow
the band limits and if you don't believe me, tune down into
the current Extra portion where some have set up shop.  They
almost use a frequency as an intercom going for minutes
without saying anything.  If you make a transmission, you
will be told immediately, in an angry tone, that the
frequency is in use.  I just hope our Canadian and Mexican
brethren will be understanding with our numbers and
sometimes indecent behavior.  I look forward to talking to
them.

73  Jim
W5JO