[AMRadio] Experience with Ocean State Electronics (PICS)

Don Buska dbuska at wi.rr.com
Wed Nov 22 16:16:13 EST 2006

Hi Mark thanks for the nice reply, and those from the many others as
well.  John KB6SCO did point out the notice they recently added to the
website under "Contact" that indicate they had a major crash of their
database computer and are working to restore and catch up.  It does
indicate a "family" business in the notice so your right it's probably a
one man deal most of the time.  Since I received an order confirmation
email the site notice indicates I will be getting my stuff eventually.
Still it was a bit unprofessional to basically shut down the email and
they could have broadcasted their problems on the phone voice message
instead of just saying "We are Closed today".  If they attacked the
notification of the computer crash and catch up via several avenues it
would mean a great deal less people trying to call them and wasting more
of their valuable catch up time.  I completely missed the notices as
they don't appear on their main webpage and were probably added after my
last check of the site to confirm the email address and phone number.

Yes the golden days of radio stores is just about all gone.  Here in
Kenosha, Wisconsin we still have Chester Electronics which has been
around for a long time.  They occupy an old grocery store.  Chester's
still have old TV parts from the 50's and 60's hanging in display.  All
those old sand coated power resistors and twin-lead antenna items - it's
a real hoot to pass by those!  I've been able to find those last minute
BA parts like wire wound resistors and caps too.  You just ask them and
they disappear into the back and come out with the part in most cases.
They also have the newer NEC semiconductor substitutes all along one
wall.  Those have come in so useful when I repair some recent vintage
electronics equipment.  I noticed now they have a store in Florida.  I
did notice the "ol-man" wasn't around the store in the past couple of
years so my guess is he's still playing store keeper down in FLA.  Most
of the sales guys that were at the store when I moved here 19 years ago
are still there behind the counter.  I think many of them are family or
extended family.

Almost all the radio stores I visited in my youth in Milwaukee are now
gone.  The only one remaining is AES which isn't much fun for the BA
collector.  If I hit AES it's but once per year maximum.

Thanks again about the insight on the Ocean State operations.  I hope
they do well enough to continue for a long time to come.  I sure wish
they'd bring back the SW-3 coil forms.  Man I should have bought a bunch
of those from them when they had'em.

73

Don N9OO