[AMRadio] 75 Meters Long Already

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 13:06:13 EST 2006

On 11/27/06, KA5MIR <ars.ka5mir at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I understand the first paragraph but maybe I don't know what is meant by
> > "short skip".
>
> Hello Jack,
>   There may be some technically precise term for "short skip" that I'm not
> aware of, but in this case I'm talking about on 75 meters after dusk, from
> approximately 10 to 200 miles.

Somewhere between 'ground wave' and 'close in'? (o:

The band has been really strange up here for the last 2-3 weeks, but
seems to be getting a bit more predictable lately. In October it would
go long around 7-9PM and stay long, no locals heard. Lately it seems
to go long starting at dusk, but also offers closer-in coverage too,
at least for a while. Some nights it goes long and snaps back around
10:30, other nights it doesn't go really long until 11 or after.

I did get to work Deano, WA1KleeNeX (KNX) in Phoenix Friday night,
along with Tim KD7YLV in northeast Wyoming. Was hearing K6BW from
north of San Fran well enough to talk, but he left the air before it I
got to transmit.

There was a huge group in there until someone came on and buzzarded
away. By the time he turned it over, most had left. Then some 5
landers moved down from another frequency and started talking among
themselves, and that was it. Brian W5AMI was trying to call Steve,
KL7OF but they doubling with Steve. Or maybe they were all named Steve
also? It was time for a break anyhow.

Brian, you sounded fabulous up here. 20 over at times with clean, full
audio. Strongest signal on the band. Hope we get to chat sometime when
you're using that rig. I did get your report to me, but it was busy in
there.

73, Todd  KA1KAQ