[AMRadio] Vacuum Tube centennial

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 11:49:43 EST 2006

On 11/29/06, John Lyles <jtml at losalamos.com> wrote:
> In December of 1906, Lee DeForest applied for the patent on the Audion, a three element tube.

The way I see it:

Marconi was smart enough to put the pieces together and make a working
system over large distances. Monkeyb...er...DeForest was smart enough
to apply for a patent on a device that worked, even though he didn't
know why or how. And Armstrong was smart enough to understand, build,
and develop things others could only dream about (if that).

Marconi did a marvelous job of setting up his system and gaining favor
around the world for 'his' new invention, but he didn't keep up well
from a technical standpoint. I've often wondered what might have
happened with Marconi and Armstrong teamed up: Marconi as the business
manager and Armstrong as the technical brains and developer. But then,
Marconi never saw that whole broadcast thing coming either, so maybe
not.

They all deserve recognition for their work, but history shows that
DeForest contributed the least technically, yet outlasted everyone
else and ended up being praised the most. Marconi gets referred to as
a ripoff artist since he used some discoveries made by others, yet
none of the others put it all together and made it work in the way
that he did. IMHO, Armstrong deserves the most credit for what we
enjoy today, but is remembered the least.

~ Todd  KA1KAQ