[AMRadio] Wanted: 6DS4 Nuvistors

A.R.S. - W5AMI ars.w5ami at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 12:55:14 EST 2006

On 11/29/06, Peter Markavage <manualman at juno.com> wrote:
> Have you tested the tubes and which Ameco preamp? Also, make sure all the
> pins of the tube are straight as they go into the socket. They're not all
> that rigid, and if one is bent as you push it into the socket, you may
> not be able to feel the difference. Given proper filament and plate
> voltage, these things can last a long time. Most of the nuvistors in my
> Clegg stuff are still original and the rigs still perform fine. Testing
> the preamp with a generator and a scope should not be a big problem.

Hey Pete,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will take a look at the pins again.  I
did pull 'em and spray some contact cleaner in the sockets, but it
didn't make any difference.  Pulled 'em again to look at the pins and
they were perfect, but who knows.  I'll take another look...

I do know one of the two was hot to the touch, and the other was not.

This is the PCL-P model.

I've got some of the little tubes lined up, so even if I get it
working as is, I'll have some spares.

Thanks Again,
Brian / w5ami