[AMRadio] AM contacts

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 13:49:52 EST 2006

On 11/29/06, Jack Schmidling <jack at schmidling.com> wrote:

> I know this was addressed to someone else but one of the most pleasant
> QSO's I have had recently was with Todd a couple nights ago.
>
> There was absolute silence in the AM window and about the time I was
> ready to give up with my CQ'ing, Todd popped in like the local bcst
> station and we chatted for nearly an hour.

Hey Jack -

Yes, I had no clue at the time it was 'you' from 'here'. Yesterday
when someone mentioned your 813 project that proverbial little
lightbulb clicked on, so I queried your call on QRZ. Sure 'nuff - one
and the same!

It was great working you as well, and meeting up with you for the
first time. I think Jim, W5JO may have been my first 'AM list' contact
back in September, followed the next night by Brian W5AMI. It's really
a hoot for me to catch up with folks, especially over distance. Almost
like working quality DX. Even heard Geoff in there last week, by
golly.

The 'clump' factor puzzles me, too. Sure would be nice to have 3-4
QSOs going on around the band, not just 4-5 kcs away (if at all).
Lately it's been feast or famine on 75. The bands have been anything
but good, or predictable. Last night I worked Marv KC9VF again, but
two SSB ops decided to fire up 3 kcs above us, then complained that
they couldn't notch out the noise. K6BW was on from north of San
Francisco and I *think* he said he was hearing me but light copy.
KO6NM was in stronger, but left the frequency when the SSB fools
started in.

Thanks for the great contact, Jack. Hope to work you again soon. And I
really hope to hear more of the AM gang on the air in the evenings.
Not that I minded our 'clear channel' QSO. I was thinking it was
coming up on 2300 when I logged off, but it was nearly 2330! Time
flies, as they say.

~ Todd  KA1KAQ