[AMRadio] AM contacts

Jack Schmidling jack at schmidling.com
Wed Nov 29 19:37:06 EST 2006

Todd, KA1KAQ wrote:

> The 'clump' factor puzzles me, too. Sure would be nice to have 3-4
> QSOs going on around the band, not just 4-5 kcs away (if at all).

I have taken upon myself the task of de-clumping, first in time and
second in frequency.

I started the Noontime forum on 85 to heat up the either at a time when
the band is completely dead. So far in 3 weeks, we have had about 45
stations check in and express appreciation for waking them up.

In the freq domain, whenever I hear a clump on 85 I move down as far as
necessary to find a clear spot and call CQ as long as my vocal chords
hold out.  So far no takers.

I think people are taking the AM window too literally.  If we think of
it as first choice instead of the only place AM is allowed, I think we
would all benefit.

The window idea as a calling freq is great idea but it is presumed that
folks move off calling freqs once contact has been made.  At least
that's the way it worked when I was in the Coast Guard and in my later
yachting life.

Having said all that, I propose we start our own "clump" of the amradio
gang.

How bout we all clump up at 9:30 CST and listen, call CQ or whatever it
takes to start a new clump.  If 85 is busy, slide down to the nearest
hole.  My experience is that 3865 is frequently clear (and it has a 5 in
it). Perhaps we should just go to 3865 and declare it our clumping place.

I will be there tonight.

73 till then

Jack K9ACT