[AMRadio] SP-600 IF Bandwith Specification

Brett gazdzinski brett.gazdzinski at verizonbusiness.com
Mon Oct 2 08:18:17 EDT 2006

As far as my results go, I would rate them
better then the mechanical filters.
They are real easy to add to a receiver since they are zero
loss and are not particular about the impedance
they look into.

In most cases, you can just lift a wire off an IF
transformer and insert the filter.
Just after the mixer would be best.

Has to be 455 kHz IF though, some Collins stuff used
500 Kc, some other stuff used 262 KHz, etc.

Heath kit used some crazy IF frequencies like 9 Mhz and so on...

With the mechanical filters, you need to make up for the loss
through the filter, and have to terminate it carefully,
and pay attention to the in and out to prevent pass through.

If you just replaced a mechanical filter with a Kiwa, you would get
about 6db of gain? through the circuit, so you might want to
experiment with bypassing one tube amp that drives the mechanical
filter.
Kiwa also makes a better filter, that has some loss through it,
which might make a better direct mechanical filter substitute.

The Kiwa filters are little cubes with pig tail shielded wires
you just tack on, you can also buy a switch board that holds
2 filters, and can pick whatever bandwidth you want in .5 Kc
increments.

I don't know about any phase shift distortion and so on, but
to my ear, they work just as well as a mechanical filter.

With the 5.5Kc filter, as I tune across a steady carrier,
you can see the 3 filters inside that give the bandwidth
you picked, you see three slight peaks of each filter as you
tune across the signal.
Kiwa uses an op amp into 3 separate narrow filters of
slightly different frequencies, and an op amp output.

If there is a S9+50 db signal just out of the passband,
you wont hear it at all with the Kiwa filters.

With the 5.5Kc filter switched in, a clean AM qso
on 7295 will not bother me on 7290, if its clean and the
highs are somewhat limited.

For $50.00 you wont do any better...

Brett
N2DTS