[AMRadio] First Wednesday -- how was it ?

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 10:07:37 EDT 2006

Hey Paul -

Noisy as all hell up this way, continuous static crashes and slop
bucket jamming (or attempts to). I was hearing Bob so-so here along
with a few other stations, then my realtor stopped by and I had to
close the station for a few hours.

Not sure about your last time filling in, but I saw nothing posted for
the time I filled in for Bob so I submitted it myself. Only a handful
of stations then due to noise. My biggest question, though: on a good
night, why do you hear all these guys check into a 'net', but then
never hear 95% of them on AM afterwards? Do they really need to be led
to this mode by some official sounding invitation, and is a net the
only interest they have of participation? It's pretty sad really,
particularly since most nets seem to be nothing more than an excuse to
reserve a frequency for ragchewing. I like my Collins gear, it's good
stuff. I just don't see it as the only reason to get on AM.

> Can someone tell me if Bruce, W1UJR made a grand
> arrival with his 30K that he fired up for the first
> time this week ?

Bruce and I were on the air working with his 30K after 11 last night,
down low because he as having trouble getting it to load properly
around 3885. Low grid drive I believe, related to the 310A exciter.
However, he did modulate it a bit and it sounded nice - crisp and
clean, very nice with a plain jane D-104. Once he gets it properly
sorted and aligned, it's going to be one of the nicer signals on the
band. Other than one reversible mod for antenna switching (actually
handy), it's as it left the factory.

I had hoped to get up there last weekend to help him out with it, but
things are just too hectic here right now. Hopefully by the end of the
month I'll make the trip back up, maybe hauling my HRO/SPG along if
Barry Williams ever gets the rack sent to me (been waiting since
July).

'PJP is arriving later today and staying over at my place, then we're
hitting the 'fester tomorrow (will pass your tubes to 'JN & HUZman).
We'll be on 75 later tonight for the 'Pre Fester Review and Roll
Call'. Jump in and join us.

Maybe we should have a net....

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ