[AMRadio] Phone band expansion

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 14:10:15 EDT 2006

On 10/12/06, Bob Maser <bmaser at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Back in the
> 50's and 60's when SSB was just emerging, they were allocated by gentlemen's
> agreement to the top of each band because they were the minority.  Now AM is
> the minority so it makes sense for AM'ers to inhabit the top frequencies.
> Why fight a fight that you can't win?

500-1? I think you need to get on a bit more often, Bob. AM has made a
huge comeback over the last decade, and the 'gentleman's agreement'
you mention seems only to be respected by the AMers. Just check 3870 -
3890 any night, you'll hear them trying to make problems. The reason
there haven't been AM issues in other areas in only because the AM
group tends to stay up above, certainly not because of any agreement.

And as far as battles go, the strapping AM signals win out everytime.
If you're pissweak, you're covered up - regardless of mode. Up here in
the northeast, AMers make full use of the 'window' as well as other
phone frequencies. Which is why the impending move to Florida concerns
me a bit. All I've heard about down there is that 'the SSB guys won't
let us operate anywhere but 3885' or 'you need to get on in the
morning' etc.

AM continues to grow as more and more people discover its pleasant
sound and hands-on 'real radio' approach. The more AMers get on and
use the spectrum, the more AM will grow.

Fortunately Bob, there are some good AM signals soon to be on the air
down your way, and others on the way down. Fear not, AM will thrive.
We just need to get people off their sofas and on the air.  (o:

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ