[AMRadio] Phone band expansion

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 15:25:26 EDT 2006

On 10/12/06, Bob Maser <bmaser at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> I am in the Tampa area.  The reason I sold my 20V2 and 20V3 was once you
> work the 30 or 40 stations that seem to hang out on 3885,  you're done.

Done? How.....sad. What's next, digital? Sounds a lot like corntesting
to me. Work 'em once and move on. No wonder you get bored.

 > I really don't think that it's too smart to put an AM signal on 3795
> in the evening.  You(we) are still the minority, you can question the ratio,
> but since all AM'ers do is "lock and talk" and hardly ever chase DX, why
> would you even consider going into the "DX part" of the bands.

I'm not in favor of invading the DX window on any band, I enjoy DX as
well as the next guy and I also have (shhhh) a nice old SSB station.
It just gets very little use because once you've quacked, you're done.
I prefer AM and old gear, it's more fun for me.

But using your reasoning, why would any SSB station want to even
consider going into the AM portion of the band? I don't advise that
either, but it happens all the time. Agreements only work if all
parties abide by them, and since that's not likely to happen with the
SSB group anytime soon, where's the issue? AMers stay in the ghetto,
while everyone else is free to transmit where they please, even at the
expense of AM operation? Not likely.

> AM'ers need
> friends, not enemies.

Just spent a great weekend with many of them at Hosstraders hamfest.
30-40 of them at least - and I've worked many of them multiple times.
Sorry, I didn't know that after the first time I was 'done', Bob.

> BTW, I don't know what you define as a "strapping
> signal"  but I would go up against the best with my SSB signal, especially
> in the DX window.  If you want to set up a schedule sometime, let's see who
> gets heard on a common frequency out to the mid west.

Nah, I never got into the d**k measuring aspect of this hobby. I leave
that to the guys with Leenyars and corntest certificates. I've got an
Alpha 77, it sits in the corner collecting dust and holding down the
house.

But! I did get out from little old VT to southern OK and Arkansas a
week or so back, and enjoyed it emmensely. That's like DX to a lowly
AMer who needs friends, sortakinda.

73, Todd  KA1KAQ