[AMRadio] Thread change/License Class

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 14:08:02 EDT 2006

On 10/13/06, Bob Maser <bmaser at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Now with the
> expansion of usable frequencies on 75/80, us Extras can go down and play
> radio where the other lesser licensed can't go.

Hmmm.....more of the same 'back of the bus' mentality along the lines
of why AMers better not move out of that teeny sliver of 75 meters?

> On that subject, I can't
> understand why the Advanced hams don't go down and pass the Extra written
> exam, especially since the code requirements have been eliminated.

Perhaps because some who hold lesser licenses are proud of the fact
that they got their Advanced license when the Advanced test was more
difficult than even the Extra was. Or perhaps they'd like to pass the
20WPM before getting the give-away Extra of today, but lack the time.
Could be any number of things. Or maybe they don't want to be
associated with some perceived arrogance of having an Extra ticket?

> My, it's
> so easy to get on radio these days.

A bit like the ease with which someone can be issued a vanity call or
even use an out-of-area call that doesn't apply to the call area
they're actually in? After all, the call areas serve no real purpose
beyond the number of possible license combinations. Why did anyone
ever think we needed call areas?  We could all just be zeros, but I'm
sure there'd be a big argument over who gets to use 'W0OD'.

Warm those rigs up tonight. WA3VJB predicts quiet(er) conditions from
the passing of a cold front, resulting in some good AM conditions on
75. Anything has to be better than endless static crashes.

~ Todd  KA1KAQ