[AMRadio] Phone band expansion

W7CE w7ce at curtiss.net
Sat Oct 14 17:44:20 EDT 2006

No problem Brian.  In fact I need to order another crystal from you.  My
purpose was to make sure members of the group are aware of the
long-established DX window from 3789 to 3800.  It is officially 3790 to
3800, but has drifted down an extra kHz in the past few years (those DXers
are are real bandwidth hogs -- a whopping 11 kHz for all of them).

For those interested, the window exists because for many years countries
like Australia had limited phone capability in the U.S. phone band.  In
Australia's case, I believe it was only from 3795 to 3800.  With the
expansion of the U.S. phone band, that may eventually start changing.
However, since a lot of DX on 80M is right at the noise level, it is nice to
have a small window that is relatively free of rag-chewing and other non-DX
related activity.  Also,  as we all know, the amount of force required to
move a group of hams is very large.

I have heard talk of attempting NA to Eu AM QSOs in the window.  I don't
have any problem with this.  DX is DX, no matter what mode is used.  I
believe N7UA, with his 80M, 6 element wire yagi, is planning on trying AM
with some Eu stations later this winter.  I hope to either have my Johnson
Kilowatt fixed or my 20V-2 conversion completed by then so that I can join
in.

73,
Clay  W7CE