[AMRadio] Phone band expansion

Jan Erik Holm sm2ekm at telia.com
Sun Oct 15 01:08:07 EDT 2006

W7CE wrote:
> No problem Brian.  In fact I need to order another crystal from you.  My
> purpose was to make sure members of the group are aware of the
> long-established DX window from 3789 to 3800.  It is officially 3790 to
> 3800, but has drifted down an extra kHz in the past few years (those
> DXers are are real bandwidth hogs -- a whopping 11 kHz for all of them).

Actually 3775-3800 according to IARU band plan, however I guess
nobody in the US would care.

> For those interested, the window exists because for many years countries
> like Australia had limited phone capability in the U.S. phone band.  In
> Australia's case, I believe it was only from 3795 to 3800.  With the
> expansion of the U.S. phone band, that may eventually start changing.
> However, since a lot of DX on 80M is right at the noise level, it is
> nice to have a small window that is relatively free of rag-chewing and
> other non-DX related activity.  Also,  as we all know, the amount of
> force required to move a group of hams is very large.
>
> I have heard talk of attempting NA to Eu AM QSOs in the window.  I don't
> have any problem with this.  DX is DX, no matter what mode is used.  I
> believe N7UA, with his 80M, 6 element wire yagi, is planning on trying
> AM with some Eu stations later this winter.  I hope to either have my
> Johnson Kilowatt fixed or my 20V-2 conversion completed by then so that
> I can join in.
>
> 73,
> Clay  W7CE

By the way, I frequently during the winter hear lots of US AM traffic
around 3850-3900, some stations are S-9+ and it wouldn´t be a problem to
work them if I just could transmitt up there.
In any case I´ll be looking forward to work some of you on 80m AM,
might be easier now when everything will be changed around.

73 Jim SM2EKM