[AMRadio] Phone band expansion

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 01:39:25 EDT 2006

On 10/13/06, Bob Maser <bmaser at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Plus, if he had half a brain, he would have upgraded to an Extra back in the
> late 60's, early 70's.  It's sour grapes.

How do you figure that, Bob? Someone prefers not to upgrade to a
higher license to get a few (until recently) more kcs of spectrum
because they feel the test is a give-away? Would the benefit of
upgrading be the opportunity to have an Extra Class-only SSB contact
with you?

> I agree that a pre no-code Extra
> is more valuable than post no code but he missed the boat.  My feeling is
> that my 20WPM Extra will always be worth more(to me at least) than a no code
> Extra.

Sounds like you're the one suffering from sour grapes syndrome. How
DARE they offer the Extra Class license to those 'lesser' licensees
with an easier test??

> I've always felt that no code extras should sign /nc when in the
> Extra part of the bands.

That's okay, I've always thought that all hams should append their
callsign with the call area they actually reside in, be it a Vanity
call they bought or otherwise. Not so long ago, it was the law. And it
actually makes sense, more sense than having someone sign /NC so that
you can feel somehow superior.

Think about it Bob - you wouldn't even need to have the "half a brain"
you suggest the other fellow lacks, to get a 4-area callsign. You
could just sign W6TR/4 so folks would have a better idea where that
superior signal was coming from. (o:

Out.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ