[AMRadio] TS430 as VFO on a KNIGHT T60

Jack Schmidling jack at schmidling.com
Sun Oct 15 12:42:18 EDT 2006

John Coleman ARS WA5BXO wrote:

> 	As for the T60, I'm not saying "don't do it".  You will want to make
> your on observations for the experience. But, the TS430, when operated
> properly on AM, will get you better signal and audio reports and keep your
> band neighbors friendly.

Thanks for the comments.

My thoughts on an advantage of the T60 is that, as it has
controlled/suppressed carrier, the idle power is a lot less than the
TS430.  As a consequence, I could drive a linear (SB200) a bit harder
and get more power out of it than when using the 430.

When running the 430 at about 15 watts, and a plate current of 150 ma on
the amp, the plates get redder than I like.  Seems like I should be able
to increase the input significantly with the T60 before the plates got
to the same temp.

Is this correct reasoning?

I think I will just get some xtals for the T60 as I am getting a Ranger
soon.

js