[AMRadio] AM in the DX window - GREAT FUN

VJB wa3vjb at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 15 14:26:04 EDT 2006

Clay, W7CE said --
I have heard talk of attempting NA to Eu AM QSOs in
the window.  I
don't
have any problem with this.
------
I worked six countries this winter on 3790Kc running
complete, DSB, full carrier AM. I would wait until I
heard a station calling CQ or finishing a contact, and
would then check in with a properly zero-beat
transmitter.

Reaction to this novelty was good !

A station in Holland had been licensed a while and you
could hear the feeling of nostalgia in his voice as he
listened again to AM.

Another station, Italy, had remembered the
international AM we enjoyed on 10m in Cycle 23.

A German station was a bit puzzled at first, but then
had a "whatever" attitude and switched his receive
mode to AM to provide me with a report (although he
stayed on SSB to transmit). "I don't know if my amp
could handle a carrier" he said.

Yep, great fun, and any number can play.
Paul/VJB