[AMRadio] TS430 as VFO on a KNIGHT T60

KA5MIR ars.ka5mir at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 14:34:49 EDT 2006

Hello Jack,
  Controlled carrier has tradeoffs.  You are trading reduced linearity and
tricker audio adjustment for greater PEP.  Not that it can't be done and
sound reasonably good.

  Another point is that tubes with zirconium or titanium on the plate NEED to
get red to getter properly.  I'd be more concerned about the power supply
than the red plates.  But that's just SSB amps in general.  I don't have any
experience with the SB200.

  It would probably be easier and more productive to just reduce the carrier
power on the 430 until you're happy with the amp.  I doubt anyone on the
other end would notice 20 or 50 watts difference and your audio would
probably sound cleaner too.

  But the main thing is to have fun and enjoy your radios.  If you want to
put the T60 on the air, by all means drive it with a little carrier from the
430 until you get your crystals.  You won't have to worry about being on
frequency.  :)

73'
KA5MIR