[AMRadio] Phone band expansion gone off topic

TChesek at Epix.Net tchesek at epix.net
Mon Oct 16 09:37:18 EDT 2006

The disadvantage that the cell phone text messaging had against cw is that
the entire message had to be typed before transmitting, kind of like a store
and forward process therefore a lag in data receipt. I don't see how any of
the systems Jim mentioned would be any faster if you account for the time it
takes to capture the data prior to sending. CW is instant. I think that the
whole idea of that contest on the Jay Leno Tonight Show was to demonstrate
that some old processes still work well today. But...one thing to consider
is that to send a cw message the receiptant must also know cw(thousands of
people), whereas I can send a text message on a cell phone to most anyone
who speaks the English language (millions of people).

Tom K3TVC/nc