[AMRadio] Zero beating

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 16 17:17:39 EDT 2006

From: Todd, KA1KAQ <ka1kaq at gmail.com>

>Another side of it though, is the SSB stations who zero-beat an AM qso
>and interfere that way. Had several doing this last week. So some of
>the guys tune just slightly off one way or the other, to make this a
>less-desirable option. But we're talking a few cycles, not 5-6 kcs.
>Sure, they can notch out the main carrier, but notching out several
>slightly different ones isn't quite as easy.

>	 	From what I heard last night, the increase in phone spectrum won't
>stop the few lids who want to intentionally interfere. They sought out
>AMers no matter where they went. It's not a space issue for them, it's
>a poor attitude and minimal (if any) education.

Then the slopbuckets intentionally zero in on the AM carriers, it's time for
the old tactic Timtron calls "exit stage left."  Otherwise, I agree it's
good practice for everyone in a QSO to stay zero beat.

My only problem is that with some antennas, the VFO signal isn't strong
enough to hear in the rx and I have to temporarily switch to a different
antenna while zero-beating.

With the advent of transceivers, many of the newer hams don't have a clue to
the concept of zero-beating.

Don k4kyv