[AMRadio] Octal Sockets.... more Ranger stuff

Rick Brashear rickbras at airmail.net
Sun Oct 22 10:37:43 EDT 2006

Jack,

You really have a challenging restoration ahead of you.  Most people
would just set it aside and call it unworthy of restoration.  I admire
your tenacity.  I have replaced pins in tube sockets in a pinch, but for
me it was at best a hit and miss process.  If you don't get the locking
tab firmly back in place the pin will move around too much and possibly
not make proper contact with the tube pin.  I have removed many brad
mounted tube sockets and you're right they are a real pain.  However, in
the long run it is the best solution, in my opinion.  A nice sharp drill
bit and an adjustable speed drill can have those brads out of there in a
few seconds.  Don't forget to blow out the shavings before you fire it up.

Best of luck on a worthy project!
Rick/K5IZ