[AMRadio] Octal Sockets.... more Ranger stuff

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Sun Oct 22 13:55:47 EDT 2006

Jack, you can remove pins from any of the octal sockets.  Look for a socket
that uses the same scheme to fasten pins.  If it has been used, that is ok,
just do as previously mentioned by someone else.

Get all the solder off and straighten as needed them remove as many as you
need for the Ranger socket.  As I recall, this is for a modulator tube
socket.  Are both wired the same way?  If so, as Gary and another person
mentioned, you may not need pins in all the locations.  One thing I will
mention is shy away from sockets used in National receivers.  The metal used
in the pins that National installed in their receivers is not very strong.
You might get a new one in and it would break as you try to reattach the
components.  I do not like the sockets in National receivers.

Antique Electronic Supply sells tube sockets so you can order anything you
need from them provided you do not find any elsewhere.  I am assuming the
crystal socket is a octal 8 pin.  Is there anyone near you with a collection
of parts.  If I had any extra, I would send you what you need, but sadly I
don't have any.

73  Jim
W5JO