[AMRadio] Octal Sockets.... more Ranger stuff

Rick Brashear rickbras at airmail.net
Sun Oct 22 14:44:43 EDT 2006

Well, the pictures answered several questions I had.  It has definitely
been used with a modulator at one time or another since it seems to have
all the transformers and components.  I appears the modulation
transformer is completely disconnected from the modulator tubes.  I see
you were able to get pin 8 in the two sockets, great.  I can't imagine
why the crystal socket was removed and a modulator tube socket employed
for the crystal.  Maybe the original crystal socket broke or something.
If you haven't found a crystal socket yet I can send one along with the
CD tomorrow.  It's obvious you are going to have to rebuild the
modulator and crystal switch/socket sections.  Fortunately, there are no
obscure parts or super hard wiring considerations in either section.  On
the modulation transformer the brown wire goes to pin 3 of the socket of
V10, the one closest to the outside edge of the chassis.  The blue wire
goes to pin 3 of V9, the other modulator tube socket.  The red wire
attaches to the terminal strip on lug 1 (so we'll call it) closest to
V9, there will, or should be, a black wire already attached to it.
Sometimes this configuration gets out of phase and you get extremely
distorted or extremely low modulation.  If this happens simply switch
the two wires going to the plates (pin 3) of the modulator tubes.
Beware of the electrolytic you are holding in the first picture, it is
likely defective and can be replaced with a couple of 10 mfd or higher
at 150 vdc or more.

Rick