[AMRadio] JOTA report

John Coleman ARS WA5BXO wa5bxo2006 at pctechref.com
Mon Oct 23 22:17:26 EDT 2006

Report on the JOTA operations from Galveston Texas.
	20 and 40mtrs were really hopping.  We were running a TS430s into a
Johnson matchbox connected to a open wire feed line to a center fed 100 ft
doublet stretched between to 30 ft towers.  Propagation was all over the
place.  On Friday, right after getting the rig and antenna up, I called a
station in chili CE/VE7SV got a 59 report.  Worked stations all over the
country on both 20 and 40 meters then in the afternoon of Saturday the 21st
of October, I was calling CQ JOTA from Galveston Island and Pippo, IK7YCE,
from Italy called me with a great report.  The Boy Scouts and I almost lost
all composure.  It was a great JOTA weekend except for the rain Saturday
morning and the rain and wind Sunday morning.  It rained so hard that some
of the tents flooded on Saturday morning and then after moving the tents and
equipment it rained again at a little after midnight on Sunday morning and
then the cold wind came in from the north at about 40-50 mph and pulled the
tent stakes out of the already soak ground and blew a number of tents around
including the scoutmasters which completely collapsed.  He didn't think it
was as funny as the rest of us did.  So in summary it was good radio and bad
camping.

73, John, WA5BXO