[AMRadio] Ranger stuff

Jack Schmidling jack at schmidling.com
Wed Oct 25 00:19:26 EDT 2006

Brian Carling wrote:

> Jack the ONLY thing from a Ranger power transformer
> that should go to the function switch, is the PRIMARY wiring,
> which should be BLACK wires.

Turns out, it's not the switch but pins 1 and 5 of the 6AL5 in the keyer
control.

> Red is for the high voltage secondary. It very much sounds
> like someone has mis-wired this transmitter.

It is beginning to look like they changed the xformer when the keyer
control was added.  The construction notes call these "brown" leads but
they look red to me.  In any case, this means there are no red leads
coming out of the xformer and the hv leads are yellow with red.

> Do you have a schematic? Here it is if you need it for a free
> download. It's the last page of the manual.

Not one with the keyer deck that is legible.  I will take a look at the
one in your link.

> The center tap which is red and yellow striped
> is supposed to go to ground.

That is correct but the hv leads are yellow with red stripes.  Confusing
but reality.

> If those red wires are connected to the  function switch that is a
> SERIOUS error.
> DO not turn it on like that!

I fired it up in careful steps and the HV AC is where it is supposed to
be so we must have a change without supporting docs.

> Each one of them has about 750 to 800V AC relative
> to ground (red/yellow) and a total of 1500V AC between
> the two reds.

I didn't get that much... seems more like 1000 across the two but I had
a light bulb in series with the primary for current limiting and this
could have reduced the voltage.  The light bulb was Rick's idea and
eminently clever, I think.

js