[AMRadio] 220 volt AC Power Question

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Mon Oct 30 20:09:41 EST 2006

Hi all,

   I am building an amplifier that has a combination of 220 volt and 120
volt transformers. The HV plate supply is 220V, and the rest is 120V. I will
be keying the plate supply. My 220V outlet has phase, phase, and ground.
There is NO neutral. The outlet is not a GFCI outlet so ground current will
work, BUT.

  The BUT here is whether this is legal with the National Electric Code?
Before you say NO, consider the electric clothes dryer. These all run off
220V, and have 3 prong power cords. I have heard that in some dryers there
are 120 volt loads (lights, and timer) as well as 220V (heater and motor).
If this is true, then my approach must be OK so long as my power switch uses
a DPST switch and (double fuses)to insure everything is off when it is in
the OFF position.

Comments please...

BTW, I do have a 240/120 autotransformer of suitable size (VA rating), but
space does not permit it's use.

Jim
JKO