[AMRadio] 220 volt AC Power Question

W4AWM at aol.com W4AWM at aol.com
Mon Oct 30 20:50:41 EST 2006

Hi Jim,

I understand that the update to the National Electrical Code now dictates
that all NEW work 220V outlets have a neutral in addition to the ground. This
makes good sense, especially in light of your email.  Buy the way, legal or not,
The Collins 30S-1 amp had an internal 120V outlet under a shelf in the power
supply.  This was to facilitate installing the power supply for a KWM-1 within
the amplifier PS cabinet. I don't doubt that other manufacturers and
homebrewers do similar things with blowers, relays and control circuits. Dangerous? I
suppose under the right circumstances it could be. For once, I can go along
with the NEC folks.

73 and stay safe,

John,  W4AWM