[AMRadio] For Sale: E. F. Johnson Thunderbolt Amplifier

Don Merz n3rht at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 31 18:15:39 EST 2006

For Sale: E. F. Johnson Thunderbolt HF amplifier
covering 80-10 meters. Capable of 2KW input using a
pair of 4-400A tubes.

This Tbolt looks pretty good but it has some small
paint scrapes at the front panel edges on all 4
sides, more on the top front edge than on the other
edges. The cabinet paint is pretty good. But you know
how the EFJ cabinet paint always was. They never
seemed to get good adhesion on their paint jobs. So
there are some chips here and there. Finally, the
original owner had used color-coded stickers to mark
where he wanted to tune the amp for each band, so that
he would not have to work out the tuning each time--he
could just hit his color-coded marks. So you will want
to remove his tiny self-adhesive labels and their glue
residue.

I've never had the amp running so I can't speak to
it operationally. It does look good inside and the
owner was using it, so I am assuming that it does what
it's supposed to. It requires 220V of course. I have 2
used, good 4-400A tubes that I will include with the
rig. I also have the origional manual. $475 plus
shipping or pick up in Pittsburgh, PA. It weighs
120 pounds and will approach 140-145 packed.

Let me know if you're interested. I can get some
pictures for you.

Thanks for looking.
73, Don Merz, N3RHT