[AMRadio] 220 volt AC Power Question

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Tue Oct 31 23:02:14 EST 2006

On Behalf Of david knepper:

Did anyone ever think of calling a local electrician!

Dave, W3ST

Reply by Jim WD5JKO:

  Are you kidding? ;-)

I might actually do that now that several members in this group have pointed
out the errors in my thinking. I want to thank everyone for adding their 2
cents. Now if the electrician only needed 2 cents to do the job.

I might consider using my plate transformer with dual 120v primary to run
off 240 volts, and place my two 120 volt transformers off each side of the
HV transformer primary. This will eliminate ground current, but result in B+
that is always on and I hate that.

Another option is to purchase new transformers that run off 240 volts, or to
add a suitable autotransformer if I can make it fit.

My last option is to lay down the $$$ to an electrician to install a 4 wire
240 volt circuit. I bet that would cost a grand or more...

Regards,
Jim
JKO