[AMRadio] Re: Question for K4KYV

Radio Station W5AMI ars.w5ami at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 13:12:06 EDT 2006

On 9/3/06, Donald Chester <k4kyv at hotmail.com> wrote:
> But I think there are circuits available today for simple solid state active
> filters that would be just as good.
>
> I preceed the filter with a pre-emphasis circuit that begins a presence rise
> at about 800~, and steadily rises up to about 8 dB at 3000~, and then cuts
> off sharply at 3400~.

Oh, so this is a device that precedes the speech amp, etc?  For some
reason I thought it was some sort of HV capable low pass filter scheme
at the modulation xfmr, like a butterworth or something similar.

In this case, I suspect any outboard EQ with a "shelving" feature for
the high end would do the same thing.  I have a good friend that has
some problems with sibilance that extend way out.  His normal vocal
range is perfect however.  Maybe something with a good "de-esser"
would do the trick on that.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how best to eliminate that
artifact, assuming all else is operating normal and within specs.