[AMRadio] Re: Meter help

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 15 14:20:28 EDT 2006

Try using a jeweller's screwdriver to turn the tiny screws.  They're cheap.
You can pick up a complete set of screwdrivers for a few bucks.

Some manufacturers used some sort of gunk that looks like tar to seat the
heads of the screws.  Try exposing the heads of the screws and heating them
using the tip of a small soldering iron.  Sometimes that will free them up.

If the screw is corroded into the metal insert, or even bakelite case, a
tiny drop of Liquid Wrench will sometimes do the trick.

The most stubborn ones I have encountered is with antique meters - early
30's or older - where the back of the case is made of pot metal.  I have had
hunks of the meter case actually break off when I finally got enough of a
grip on the screw to make it turn.

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/