[AMRadio] Dow Key

Rick Brashear rickbras at airmail.net
Sat Sep 16 17:57:39 EDT 2006

Okay... maybe I missed something the day they taught magnetism.  I have
a Dow Key that sometimes stays energized with the source completely
removed.  Not every time but sometimes.  It has a 115 vac coil and
nothing else.  No capacitor across it, no nothing.  It's as if the coil
is acting as a capacitor and retaining enough of the 115 vac to keep the
armature of the relay engaged.  I haven't left it to see how long it
would stay engaged, but it's over 15 seconds.  Once I manually remove
the armature from the magnet it will not stick back nor is there any
magnetism in the coil.  I thought maybe it was just sticking inside the
Dow Key, not so, I took it off, removed the porcelain plunger tip to
prevent it from even touching the contacts, it still does it.  I know a
coil of wire can maintain a charge for a period, but this is too long.
Obviously, something is amiss in the coil, but I don't know what.  Any
ideas?  Am I overlooking a simple explanation?

Thanks,
Rick