[AMRadio] Dow Key

Rick Brashear rickbras at airmail.net
Sat Sep 16 21:18:34 EDT 2006

Thanks Mike the Mod-U-Lator for the input.  Thanks Mike for the tape
idea.  I tried the piece of cellophane tape and the relay buzzed way too
much, so I moved on to other ideas.  What I finally found was a brass
washer out of place on the back of the coil where it attaches to the
frame.  It seems it's necessary to break the metal frame from the core
of the coil where it mounts with a non magnetic material.  I always
thought those little brass washers were kind of like shims to correctly
position the coil and maybe they do serve that purpose too, but once I
put one between the coil and the back of the frame where the coil
mounts, viola!  So, Mike was right, it was magnetism, but it needed to
be handled at the rear of the coil instead of the front.  I've seen
relays like Mike was talking about with a little adjustable screw in the
front to determine how close the "flapper" (sorry, can't think of the
real name) gets to the core of the magnet.

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.  She is up and running.
I have to put the top back on and roll the monster back in place then
I'll see if I can contact someone.

73,
Rick/K5IZ