[AMRadio] Vintage recordings and preservation

SBJohnston at aol.com SBJohnston at aol.com
Sun Sep 17 22:45:35 EDT 2006

Brian wrote:

>vintage on-the-air recordings from the 60', 70' and 80's, maybe even
earlier.

I enjoy reading old ham magazines.  As I read, I've often wondered how the
bands sounded years ago.  I imagine the CW bands sounded much the same, except
more crowded (like I remember the 40m novice band when I started in the mid
70s), but what about the phone bands?   The other day I was reading about an
island  DXpedition in the 50s that concentrated on phone.  The pileups must have
been very interesting.  Many, many AM signals, lots of hetrodynes - all would
have sounded a lot different from today.

Your suggestion to preserve, and make available online, samples of past ham
activity is a really great idea!

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com