[AMRadio] Seeking advice on testing modulation transformers

Mark Foltarz Foltarz at rocketmail.com
Wed Sep 20 18:53:03 EDT 2006

  I am sure the following has happened to all of us.

  You build a transmitter or modulator using a transformer that you have had
around for years.

  You then apply power only to find  a short to case or worse on the cherished
modulation transformer.

  Well, I would like to avoid that with several chunks o' iron I have here.

  Specifically, I have the big Thordarson multimatch, a pair of those RCA 5500
: 5500 surplus units,  and a mod transformer from a BC610E.

  I was thinking of applying power between case and a terminal and looking for
leakage.

  In the past I have even run a mod transformer with a case leakage on a piece
phenolic with favorable results.

  By the way, does anyone have any experience using the RCA 5500  5500 units?

TNX

 de KA4JVY

Mark