[AMRadio] Seeking advice on testing modulation transformers

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 09:21:13 EDT 2006

On 9/20/06, Mark Foltarz <Foltarz at rocketmail.com> wrote:
>   I am sure the following has happened to all of us.
>
>   You build a transmitter or modulator using a transformer that you have had
> around for years.
>
>   You then apply power only to find  a short to case or worse on the cherished
> modulation transformer.

Mark -

Dry them out well, first. Bake them, heat them up with voltage, use
lightbulbs, whatever flips your switch. Most iron sits unused for
years, as you point out, until that specific project requires it. They
sit around in basements, garages, porches, and other places where they
can suck up moisture. And they do suck it up, like a big sponge.

So, not to discount the other postings, but before you do anything
else, I'd dry them out first. Then test and go forward from there.

~ Todd  KA1KAQ