[AMRadio] Best Boatanchor

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Wed Sep 27 21:24:54 EDT 2006

The 183D is a very good receiver as far as I am concerned and highly
recommend it. With come care tuning, it will do SSB fine, but you need to
know how to tune an old AM receiver for SSB.  There is a trick to it.

Given the price range listed Daniel, you can buy any one of several nice
receivers.  A nice HRO 60 with the ham band coils, the 183D, any
Hallicrafters, or Hammarlund.  The main thing is to have patience and wait
for something nice to come along that works.

Watch the bulletin boards:  http://www.arrl.org/RadiosOnline/
http://users.ev1.net/~wd0hco/amnet.html
http://dealamerica.com/deal/cgi-bin/ads/bcads.cgi
for something to come up.  Be wary of Ebay, I have seen too many complain
about some dealers there so if you don't know who is selling then you will
be taking a lot of chances.

Decide on what bands and modes are preferable to you.  You can look at the
specs of a lot of radios here:
http://www.rigpix.com/index.shtml

Choose more than one and began your search.  I, personally, don't like to
buy something unless I can touch it and try it except if I know the person
who is selling.  I recently traded for a Hallicrafters SX 117 and really
like the radio.  It does pretty good AM and SSB better.  But it is a ham
band only receiver.  They can be found for less than 300 dollars easily.
Attend hamfests and look the seller in the eye.

Given you location in Indiana, go to Dayton Hamvention.  You will find many
receivers there.

Good luck.

73  Jim
W5JO