[AMRadio] Best Boatanchor

Brian Carling bcarling at cfl.rr.com
Thu Sep 28 08:09:37 EDT 2006

Hallicrafters SX-101 is a great receiver.

I am not a big Hammarlund fan!

>   Hi Everyone,
>
>   I am new to boatanchors and need some advice. I am beginning to collect antique radios. I want suggestions on what my first one should be. I am living in a duplex so a xmitter is out of the questions, so I thought I'd get a "nice" receiver to listen on. I would prefer something that would also receive SSB as this will be my only reciever for a while, but not at the sacrifice of selectivity on AM. I had a TS-850 that I unfortunately had to sell a few months back for a move for a new job. It had great receive
(and Xmit) on AM, and so I'm wanting something in that caliber. I've read great things about the HQ-180A but I think it's only AM and a little out of the price I'm looking for. I'd like to find soemthing in the $300-350 range. Any suggestions???