[AMRadio] Best Boatanchor

Brett gazdzinski brett.gazdzinski at verizonbusiness.com
Fri Sep 29 21:30:43 EDT 2006

I have used some of the best of the modern (IC chip)
ham and swl gear for receivers and I think it all
sucks big time.
Its noisy and distorted, look at the specs, 1 watt
at 10% distortion, and that is just the audio amp!

For the old gear, it depends on what you want.
Some of the old stuff would go broad as a barn door,
with push pull direct coupled 6L6 output audio tubes,
and sounds fantastic!
You cant tell what frequency you are listening to,
but it sounds great.

The NC300-303 are good, the R390 is good, the
 SX17 or SX28 are good, the Scott SLRM is very good,
with its magic eye tube as an S meter.

The boatanchor receivers all have their good and
bad points, but most are better then the noisy distorted
modern solid state crap.

I don't know about an SWL receiver, but for a HAM
receiver, the R390/R390a was the best one I
had before the homebrew.
Its noisy and does not like to band hop, but with
outboard audio, it sounds and works well on AM.

I got tired of the commercial crap and home brewed a
few tube type HI FI AM receivers, and they work so well
I sold off all the other receivers.

My favorite vintage receivers were the R390/390a,
the SX 17, the Scott SLRM, and the NC300/303.
The R390 and NC300 need outboard audio to sound good,
the others you had no good frequency readout.

The NC300/303 are still reasonable in price.
The Collins S line receivers have promise,
with outboard audio, and good AM detector, and a good
IF filter, the 75s1 might be a good receiver as
they are reasonable in price, accurate and stable,
and a small light box. They look cool also!

Brett
N2DTS