[AMRadio] AM Forum

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 05:02:36 EDT 2007

A.R.S. - W5AMI wrote:
> On 4/2/07, Peter Markavage <manualman at juno.com> wrote:
>> During a rough count, I see approximately 100 members from 5 land.
>
> That in itself is a concern.  6% of the total population (1550
> members) are from 5 land?  What has happened to them all?  Or should I
> say, why have they not joined?  There are likely 100 AM'ers in Texas
> alone...  The mid-west section of the monthly Collins AM net is a good
> example of the number of hams in this area.

I, personally, have never had a desire to have to -go to a site- to read
a list.  Put in my in-box, and I'm a happy camper.

Another -good- thing about living in 5-land, is we don't have the
'issues' that are " enjoyed " by the NorEasters... like.. K1MAN and the
feelings of anger, the on-air expressions of emotions that I've heard...
language used, by AM'ers, that *I* would be embarrassed to hear in
public...  I don't hear that in most any other part of the country,
except the Northeast.

Do the NorEasterners think they are more 'elite' where 'most' of them
have been heard, on more than one occasion, to run through the 'entire'
list of the 'Seven Dirty Words', at least once a day, if not once an hour.

What has happened to the 'gentlemen' of this hobby in the North East US?

Personally, in regards to those in the North East that enjoy 'pushing
the envelope', I'm kinda glad that propagation isn't good now, between
5-land and 1/2/3 land.  I'm completely happy to be back to the more
'technical' aspects of Real Radio.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not -generalizing- that ALL of the hams in the
NorthEast subscribe to this 'feeling of eliteness', but having driven
through there while mobile on more then a half-dozen occasions and
"listening" to how things are up there, there's no one here that can
deny that these atrocities do occur, and quite frequently, and with
alarming regularity.

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W*5*OMR