[AMRadio] West Coast Activity?

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 12:12:46 EDT 2007

On 4/3/07, Bob Macklin <macklinbob at msn.com> wrote:

> One of my problems is not knowing where or when to look. The other is I am
> not one to call CQ unless I know I have a receiver that is working.

Geographic location has a lot to do with it, but what works back this
way for a starting point on 80 is:

3650-3750, 3825, 3870-3890

On 160: 1885, 1890, 1925, 1945, 1985

Perhaps Brett or someone else can comment more on 40m.

But the base rule is, any open frequency is fair game (aside from
areas like the DX Window). The biggest reason we have problems today
is related to trying to follow an old agreement that only AMers seemed
to respect. Restricting ourselves to some small sliver of band where
we have to compete in nightly hand-to-hand combat to carry on a QSO is
pointless and no doubt discourages many from participating.

We have a group of folks up in Canada who are on regularly, 3720, 3725
or there abouts. I bet you have some just north of you as well.

> And I am working on an improved antenna that probably won't be ready until
> summer. Limited funds!

In which case you do what you can with what you've got. It might not
be the best, but it's better than nothing. (o:

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ