[AMRadio] Rebuttal to K4KYV

Bill Hardage k5uy at k5uy.com
Wed Apr 4 10:37:31 EDT 2007

I rarely respond to such short sided attacks from people who lack the

courage of their convections ,  in the case and post that Mr. Chester  has
placed on this board, I'd like a moment to respond.   I've been around the
bands for years, I know many hams around the country and  I was forwarded
Chester's post.  As sad as this is, I believe it's indicative of people that
don't let the facts  get in the way of their story.

First, I could, as Mr. Chester has done , assume everything he's complaining
about is true in reverse, but I want.  What I will do, is remind him that
today's technology all but eliminates 15 kc wide, over Powered, and over
modulated am signals completely.   The ham's he's calling "names" are all
accomplished experienced ham's and have exceptional antennas, in many cases
directional.

The Night the bands expanded our group moved to 3686.5. We had no Idea of
Chester's intentions of making the new frequencies a AM domain, based on his
own comments in earlier blogs.

The call he's making to the AM community "if all the AM'ers come to that
frequency  and run off these Guys"  would be as childish as Chester's
obvious clinical emotional state.

Often, SSB stations on 3786.5 are running 100 watts, that power that is
necessary to establish communication.  When Mr. Chester fires up, he spends
the first 15 minutes testing and tuning up.   During this time he's keyed
down, SSB station will start their amplifiers to maintain contact with
on-going, conversations.  Chester, then calls CQ for ten minutes.

Yes, there are at times nulls in the conversation, but I and most others
that have listen to him, do not believe that Chester would stop his obvious
attempt to claim AM Frequency by maliciously calling CQ.   I'm not
interested in starting similar wars that have existed up the band.  I
believe for certain, I'd take other avenues to solve that problem.   I guess
as a AM Ham radio operator and you want to spend your time doing as Mr.
Chester suggest, then I  can't stop you.  I will say, Pick your leader
carefully.

73's

Bill Hardage

K5UY