[AMRadio] AM Windows!

Bob Macklin macklinbob at msn.com
Wed Apr 4 11:51:57 EDT 2007

Jim W5JO comments:

<<Bob, the General Class can operate down to 3.8.  Some activity between 3.8
and 3.880 would be good.  The practical answer is to make contact between
3.880 to 3.890 then move either down or up to an open frequency.>>

I passed the General exam in 1957. At that time it was all RADIO theory. I
looked at the Extra question pool a couple years ago and lost interest.
There is too much compter stuff and satalite stuff. I did not see it worth
my my while for the kind of operating I wanted to do. I spnet 40 years ans
an EE. I started in telemetry in  the 50's and finished in the computer
industry in 1998! I have been programming computers since 1970 and I
designed chips from the mid 80's until I retired. I don't consider the
computer stuff as a major imortance to HAM RADIO.

I know that the ARRL does not define an actual AM Window. But there are
frequencies where AM oprators gather. The fact that there are SSB operators
that just want to drive AM off the band is a seperate problem. Most of these
guys are running RICEBOXES and really don't have a clue about how they work.