[AMRadio] AM Windows!

Peter Markavage manualman at juno.com
Wed Apr 4 12:20:34 EDT 2007

As Jim points out, you don't even have to go to the newly expanded
portions of 75. I haven't spent any real significant time around 3885 in
quite a long time to make AM contacts. I roll down to between 3820 and
3850, find a clear slot, and call a CQ. Lots of abundant AM contacts for
folks who have tunable receivers and VFO's.

Even last night, around 9:30 PM EDT, when I tuned the receiver to around
3885, I heard three separate AM QSO's trying to operate between 3875 and
3885 with SSB transmissions adjacent to both sides of the range. Yet,
between 3740 and 3775, there was a total absence of any signals that I
could hear. I then set the receiver bandwidth to 16 KHz, set the receiver
dial to around 3755, and let it sit for about 45 minutes while I puttered
around the shack. Only heard 1 weak SSB station come on about 20 minutes
later making a direct call to someone and then he disappeared.

The band expansion is a golden opportunity for AM groups, that have been
plagued for years by adjacent SSB chatter, to move to new locations on
the band. I can understand long traditions, being crystal controlled, we
been on that frequency for 90 years, my VFO is frozen, etc. but these are
not insurmountable obstacles.

Pete, wa2cwa