[AMRadio] AM vs SSB???

Bob Macklin macklinbob at msn.com
Thu Apr 5 11:52:28 EDT 2007

What is the difference between 180W PEP AM and 180W PEP SSB? I don't see any. To me the difference is in the demodulator.

Ask this question because I have access to a BASKETCASE HW-101. This particular unit has already been used to salvage parts. I have been thinking about rebuilding what's left of it to an AM transmitter using possibly Controled Carrier similar to the DX-60.

I could possible get this done by the time the solar cycle improves.

Finding a DX-100 or Apache class transmitter seems out of my reach at this time. But my feeling is I could make the HW-101 conversion for less than $200 and I can do it over a period of time. Like at $50/mo!

I am a RETIRED SENIOR on FIXED INCOME! Not enough money for hobbies, but LOTS of TIME!

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Near Seattle, Wa

"Real Radios Glow In The Dark"